Fewer Trips to the Doctor
- The British Medical Association has estimated that the health benefits of bicycling outweigh the risks by twenty to one.
- Regular cyclists enjoy a fitness level equal to that of a person ten years younger. -National Forum for Coronary Heart Disease Foundation, Sharp
- Cycling at least 3 hours a week cuts your risk of heart disease in HALF compared to those who do not cycle or perform other exercise, according to the British Heart association.
- Reduce your exposure to air pollutants. “Exposure to some air pollutants and toxic compounds can be 2 to 10 times higher inside cars than outside, according to 1999 data. A two year study in California found that concentrations of carbon monoxide, benzene, MTBE, and other harmful compounds are higher inside cars than at roadside monitoring stations.” – ‘Divorce Your Car’, Katie Alvord
- Loose the extra pounds. A 15-minute bike ride to and from work or school five times a week burns off the equivalent of 11 pounds of fat in a year. -Leeds: Cycling and Health
- Multiple studies have found that moderate exercise, such as bicycling, has been found to reduce levels of depression and stress, improve mood and raise self-esteem.
- Bike commuting reduces the air pollutants that cause asthma and bronchitis.
- Trips of 2 miles or less can often be quicker by bicycle than by car.
- No more wasted time searching for parking. Enjoy a great parking spot every time you reach your destination.
- Multitask by bike. By cycling to run errands, get to work etc., you no longer have to find the extra time to go work out at the gym. Your transportation and fitness needs are taken care of at the same time.
- Bikes are rarely affected by traffic congestion. You can relax on your way to work knowing that you will always get there on time.
- Bicycling is often faster than public transportation. Enjoy the added flexibility of transporting yourself on your own schedule. No more waiting around for buses or trains.
Sustainable City and a Happy Planet
- The bicycle is an environmentally friendly way of getting around. The bicycle is a zero emissions vehicle, which means that trips made by bicycle do not add to air pollution or contribute to global warming.
- Ninety percent of the emissions from a 7 mile automobile trip are generated within the first mile before the engine warms up — and forty percent of all car trips are under 2 miles. Converting short car trips to bike trips is a great way to cut down on the smog-producing gasses that contribute to global warming. –World Watch Institute, Gardner
- The vehicle you choose has a greater impact on the environment than any other choice you make as a consumer. Now imagine if you drove less. -Union of Concerned Scientists
- Every day in California cyclists prevent over 7 tons of inhalable particles from going into the air. Why not join the clean-up crew? -MPBTA, 2002
- Bicycling instead of driving reduces the demand for foreign oil.
- Fifteen bicycles can be parked in the same space taken up by one car. Fewer parking garages could create the opportunity for more parks and open space.
- Bicycles require much less road space per traveler than automobiles or trucks. More bikes on the road would reduce the need for more roads and highways and could reduce the destruction of wildlife habitats and open space.
- Bicycles create nearly no noise. It’s much easier to enjoy the sound of birds and the sound of leaves rustling in the wind without the constant drone of automobile traffic.
- Automobiles kill and maim tens of thousands of people and wild animals in the U.S. every year –bicycles don’t.
Extra Money to Save… or Spend
- Gas prices are continuing to rise, and there is no indication that there will be any significant price cuts soon. There’s no better way to save on money on gas than by not using it. The money saved by converting short car trips to bike trips can really add up.
- The average cost of driving a car is about $.56/Mile. With the money you save on a 2 mile trip to your local coffee house, you can treat yourself to a yummy latte, or put your savings in the bank. (2004 AAA figure includes maintenance , depreciation and gas)
- Enjoy free parking every time you arrive by bicycle. No need to worry about expiring parking meters or parking tickets either.